How to apply for a B1 Visa

This multiple entry work visa extended by the Israeli Ministry of Interior (MoI) can be valid for up to one year and allows INGOs staff members to work in Israel, the West Bank and the Gaza Strip.


Who can apply?

In order to be eligible to apply, staff members should comply with the two following conditions:

·         Work for an INGO that is registered at the Israeli Ministry of Labor and Social Affairs (MoLSA).

·         Work in Israel/Jerusalem at least 15 hours per week.


Where to apply?

Ministry of the Interior

Shlomtzion Hamalka between Koresh and Hasoreg

P.O. Box 6158, 91061 Jerusalem

Tel. (02) 6701411

Website: (Hebrew)

Sundays to Thursdays from 8:00 AM to 12:00 PM

Wednesdays closed


How to apply? Step by step procedure.

ACU highly recommends to the newcomers and to staff members who wish to renew their work visas to contact us prior to initiating any procedure in order to avoid any possible complications. Have into consideration that procedures change, so is better to get an update before your arrival/renewal request.

If you would like to apply for a B1 visa for the first time, you should arrive in Israel with a support letter from your employer INGO stating you will be working for them or/and your work contract. According to the new procedure (as from January 2015), your employer INGO has to request a letter of recommendation from the MoLSA prior to your arrival and send you a copy of it to be shown to the relevant authorities upon your arrival. These documents will prove that you are entering the country with the sole and only purpose of working for your employer INGO. MoLSA advices the employer organization to get the appointment for a B1 (wor) visa at the Israeli Ministry of Interior (MoI) prior to the staff’s arrival to the country. If not possible, the staff should request an appointment at the MoI as soon as they enter the country. The MoI should provide you with a paper/receipt indicating the day of the appointment. You should put this receipt inside your passport and move around with it. If your tourist visa expires before the appointment at the MoI (not advisable), in principle and as long as the staff has an appointment with the MoI and the receipt he/she is legally in the country.

Note: You need to be in Israel one week/10 days before your appointment date at the MoI.

The staff should to his/her appointment at the MoI with the required documents and money for the fee (see below). You can be granted the visa on the spot or your file can be submitted to the MoI Committee or Head Quarters for its revision, in which case you will be contacted by the MoI with an answer. If MoI fails to get back to you on the status of your visa after 2 months, you should approach them. If you do not get the visa on the spot, make sure you get a receipt to prove the visa application is in process. If you need to travel while your application is in process, you should inform the clerk in charge of your file at the MoI of the dates you are going to be abroad, if not the processing of your application might be cancelled. You do not need an appointment in order to do so, just go to the MoI and approach your clerk.


Upon arrival in Israel, the staff will get a tourist visa stamped to his/her passport at any border crossing (Ben Gurion Airport, Allenby Bridge, etc.). This tourist visa is normally granted for three months but it can be granted for less time in some cases.


If your visa application is rejected, please contact the ACU ASAP for advice and assistance.

You have 14 days in order to apply the decision


Required documents and fee:

  • Letter of recommendation from the MoLSA (original). Click Here (link to the form)(Document 1)(Document 2)
  • Completed application form (received at the front desk of MOI)
  • A support letter/work contract from the INGO (mark whether and how multiple entry is needed)
  • Proof of medical insurance.
  • 180 shekels for single entry or 330 shekels for multiple entry (cash only).
  • Documents must be originals and signed with an apostille signature.
  • Documents must be in English, or translated into English by a notary.


MoI Opening Hours:

Jerusalem (Downtown Office)

1 Sholmtzion HaMalka



All services: Sun-Tues & Thurs 8:00-12:00. Mon & Wed: 14:30-17:30 (Not including visas and citizenship related issues). Foreign workers services: Mon & Wed 8:30-12:30 and 14:30-18:00


Please, contact Daniel Nisman ( - 0547716374) for advice before starting the procedure.